Within 5 years time I want to be Head of Product.
My goal is to become CPO.
What I learned:
Book version of my blog with extra content, updates based on more recent experience, and professional editing. This is focused around my journey becoming a technical product manager with anecdotes and tips to help others - especially developers! - on the same journey.
My second Marathon. Building on experience since he first one learned a lot about deliberate training and practice. A skill that I have also applied to my work life.
Product Lead, Elixir, Heroku, Gitlab CI · Market research, product fit, UX design, HTML, copywriting
Project to help students and recent graduates create awesome online profiles. Bashfully will shake up the traditional online resume.
Connect with me on AngelList to collaborate on side projects.
HBX CORe (Credential of Readiness) is a 120-150 hour certificate program on the fundamentals of business from Harvard Business School. CORe is comprised of three courses - Business Analytics, Economics for Managers, and Financial Accounting – developed by leading Harvard Business School faculty and delivered in an active learning environment based on the HBS signature case-based learning model.
As part of a team of four took on the Gurkhas in the Trailwalker. The Trailwalker is an unforgettable endurance challenge to get your team of four 100km across the South Downs in under 30 hours. Is it tough? Of course. Is it worth it?Absolutely.
We raised over £1,500 for charities in Nepal.
* Founder member of Product team at 15below and creating product processes
* Managing the product development budget
* Report on the Product related objectives in the 15below Business Plan.
* Working to understand the business requirements for product specifications and converting these into use cases.
* Acts as Product Owner in an agile development team when needed.
* Providing the Marketing team with the background for case studies, product documentation and promotional material.
* Supporting internal processes such as Change Advisory Board, Design Review Committee and Project Standards to ensure that the "right thing" gets developed "the right way".
* Providing internal technical consultancy and business analysis of airline workflows and reservation system interactions.
Reporting to the Production Services Manager:
* Plan and manage client PASNGR upgrades, including analysis and QA.
* Establish, evolve and document formal upgrade and deployment processes.
* Act as a technical consultant to 15below, supporting all areas of the business.
* Build and maintain a catalogue of services and configuration information related to those services (Configuration Management Database).
* Building knowledge of product and configuration to assist with establishing baselines and feeding into customer's SLAs and KPIs
* Act as part of Change Advisory Board.
* Own Technical Debt Register.
* Feed customer specific scenarios into QA processes / automated testing
Three courses that gave me a solid foundation into the business side of managing software development processes.
Not only the first Brighton Marathon but also my first marathon. This was really the start of my love of running. Learned a lot about arbitrary goals, motivation, and managing performance.
I raised over £250 for Cancer research.
A film course that covered screen writing, editing, shooting with 8mm, 16mm, and 35mm film as well as HD digital.
Secondment to the support team bringing technical and process experience as well as being an escalation point when the team leader is unavailable. I have helped automate some support tasks, improving team efficiency and reducing the support overhead. Another enjoyable aspect of my role has been in recruiting placement students and a permanent developer to the support team.
I also provide technical input on existing business functionality to both the design review committee and production change control board. In these responsibilities I aim to maximize the technical debt that can be repaid in new enhancements and to minimize the risk to production in roll out and project go live. Both roles allow me to look beyond an immediate task at hand to the wider business and then how we can increase business value.
* Co-ordinating with the Client Support Team Leader the update of the PASNGR reservation system interface for a US client when their NewSkies system was upgraded to 3.2.
* Helping to deliver and co-ordinate the roll out of an enhanced voice solution in PASNGR, which supported the use of bookings, that had been processed by Sabre Reaccommodation Manager, for another US client.
Secondment to Melbourne to assist in setting up 15below’s first overseas office to support their Asia Pacific clients.
Continued support to the UK office providing solutions to complex technical issues on project work there.
Project management and requirements gathering for local projects and Australian hours escalation point for the support team.
Development of market leading notification solutions for the travel industry.
Porting a core component from VB6 to VB.NET including some key enhancements to dynamic content functionality.
Deliverability Consultancy - using a variety of content, software, white list and DNS methods to improve the rate of emails to reach the inbox.
Technical leadership on the implementation of PASNGR solutions for new clients.
Technical leadership and project management during the implementation and rollout of functionality, e.g. to increase automation allowing the reduction of call centre staff and reduction of costs or to increase of revenue via targeted cross selling.
Development of extranets and online collaborative systems
Research into group awareness in collaborative virtual environments as part of the Atkins Research and Innovation department, including EU funded research. For example IST programme IST-10846 TOWER: Theatre of Work Enabling Relationships.
Part of a team that developed central bespoke portals for the management of programmes of works for both Shell Oil and the Royal Bank of Scotland. I was specifically responsible for developing a transport ordering B2B solution between a local County Council and Atkins
Postgraduate courses in Computing and ICT, 2001 - 2004
Postgraduate Modules passed:
Duties included helping new students familiarise themselves with the Unix terminals and system demonstrations.
Help Desk Agent/Service Support
As Help Desk Agent my duties included; first line support, configuring and installing new PCs, logging calls and preparing templates for company standard correspondence such as faxes, memos and minutes. Also developing a website for the department's asset management. As part of the Service Support team I was involved in a project that identified any Y2K related problems and prepared the companies financial systems for a successful rollover from 1999 to 2000.
Responsibility for planning, implementing and improving various small projects involving an online collaborative system, which included giving a presentation to the client's project managers.
An interdisciplinary course covering Computer Science, Linguistics, Philosophy and Psychology courses.
3rd year project: “SCARGIL: Data Mining using the Genetic Methods” produced a system that took a dataset and after a period of induction using evolutionary computing output classification rules. The program was given a dataset of DNA to produce protein splice site predictions. This project allowed me to develop my skills in cutting through domain knowledge, where I was not a domain expert, and solve the key problem presented.
On site at Mitsubishi Finance, Broadgate, London.
Duties included creating Microsoft Excel 5 spreadsheets with VBA code for data entry and asset management.